(208) 424-0800

Custody – Beware if you are not married to your child’s other parent.

July 7, 2015 audreyn@numberslaw.com Child Support, Custody Tags: , , , , , , ,
It is common today for couples to live together and have children without being married.  This generally is fine so long as the couple is getting along well together.  Problems occur when the couple split up.  Often a couple will go for long periods of time after a breakup with no formal court order governing the way they are sharing custody of their child.  Again, so long as everyone is in agreement and things are working well this is not a problem.  However, often somewhere along the way the two parents are no longer seeing eye to eye and that is when issues can occur.  It may make sense to get in place a custody, visitation and child support decree that can be enforced by the courts if disagreements occur in the future.  Quite frequently I see problems occurring when one of the parents either gets married or begins a live in relationship with another person.  Often this other person has ideas about what should be happening with the child that influence the parent to begin making waves in what up to that point had been an amiable parenting relationship.  If a decree were in place at least the terms of that decree could be enforced and unnecessary conflict could be somewhat avoided.

Submit a comment